A House for Grandfather

 

A House for Grandfather

In August, 1991, I joined as Director, Budget & Deputy Secretary, Finance. That was my first posting at Mantralaya, and I was much stressed about ‘life at Bhopal,’ which unlike field postings, meant no earmarked bungalow, no official car, and no household help. First thing to do after joining is to hunt for a suitable house, I had been counselled by a few seniors. I submitted my application to Under Secretary, Home Dept, and asked when and where I might be allotted a house. ‘Difficult to say,’ was his cryptic reply. Government accommodation was far short of demand, and there was a long waiting list, forcing newly arrived officers to spend several months in whichever guesthouse they could manage to get for temporary accommodation.

I was entitled to E-type quarters, but the houses in Char Imli, the preferred residential colony for senior officers, had only duplex houses. My grandfather who lived with us had arthritic knees, and I was keen on getting a single-floor flat in Shivaji Nagar for which there was much lobbying.

I went and met Mrs. Nirmala Buch, Principal Secretary, Home during her ‘open hour’ at 4.00 PM. She was reading a thick tome of a file, and without looking up asked, ‘Yes?’ My visitor’s slip was on her table, and she knew who was standing before her and why.


RIP, Respected Madam Buch!

‘Good afternoon, Ma’am. I have joined recently, and have applied for a house. Please allot me a ground-floor flat in Shivaji Nagar. My grandfather is very old.’

She looked at me for a moment and said, ‘Grandfather toh old honge hi,’ and returned to reading the file.

I knew my time was up. Thanks, Ma’am, I said and returned to my room. I was rather unhappy since Ma’am had said neither yes nor no to my request. Her comment also hurt a little. Reflecting on it, I realised that I had seriously goofed up in my pitch. What was that about grandfather being old? Why didn’t I come straight to the point and mention that my grandpa had bad knees and couldn’t climb to the first floor, and that our youngest child was only two-months old? I was expecting her to ask me a question or two about me and my family, but realised that PS, Home was a terribly busy officer, and had no time for chit-chat.

Next day, I got the allotment order for E-100/25, Shivaji Nagar, a ground-floor flat!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahua Mahotsav

  Mahua Mahotsav Mahua Purana After reading my three successive blogs on mahua recipes Jailaxmi R. Vinayak, a friend applauded, tongue-in-...