Dear Departed Friend!

Dear Departed Friend!

Are you free tomorrow morning? Please have tea with me at 11.00 AM.

That was an invitation I could not resist. I went over to his place, and we had a little chit-chat over tea. Always a pleasure to spend time with him, a raconteur par excellence with a treasure-trove of delightful anecdotes of a bygone era.

Mr. Manohar Keshav had joined the IAS in 1953, before I was born. The senior-most colleague in Madhya Pradesh cadre, he comes immaculately dressed to all get-togethers hosted by our Association, and loves to make friends with the youngest officers. Recently, he and his spouse graciously hosted an enjoyable High Tea for the 2022 Batch officers at their home.

Will you do me a favour, please, he asked?

Sure, Sir. What is it?

Please translate a small poem for me. It is in Urdu.

Humbled, but also alarmed by his faith in an untested translator, I protested: But I don’t know Urdu!

Of course, you do. One who knows Hindi also knows Urdu, in a way. Let me read it for you.

He picked up a slim volume from the side-table, opened the flag-marked page, and read it out. A touching poem by Faiz Ahmad Faiz.

During his visit to Bhopal in 1982, Faiz stayed with us; and this is an anthology of selected Urdu poems, compiled and edited by Ali Sardar Jafri (1913 – 2000), himself an eminent Urdu poet. A gift from Sardar Jafri, and autographed by him, he said, and showed the autograph. Mr. Keshav has a rich collection of Urdu literature.

I got the gist of the poem. It is about grief, a sad song in memory of a dear, departed friend, I said, but I don’t know the meaning of several words, a few of which I haven’t even heard before. May I read the poem, please?

Do you read Arabic? The anthology was in Arabic script.

No, I don’t.

Which words are unfamiliar to you, he asked?

He read the poem once again, and paused whenever I wanted the meaning for a particular word.

May I attempt the translation right away while memory is fresh?

He gave me a sheet of blank paper, read the poem once again line by line, and I made a first draft. My handwriting is awful, don’t even try to read it, I said, and read it out for him. He suggested a few changes after which I copied it to a second sheet, the final draft.

Faiz’s original poem is placed below. No idea for which departed friend Faiz wrote this poignant elegy. His biographers might know.

नौहा - फ़ैज़ अहमद फ़ैज़

मुझ को शिकवा है मिरे भाई कि तुम जाते हुए

ले गए साथ मिरी उम्र-ए-गुज़िश्ता की किताब

इस में तो मेरी बहुत क़ीमती तस्वीरें थीं

इस में बचपन था मिरा और मिरा अहद-ए-शबाब

इस के बदले मुझे तुम दे गए जाते जाते

अपने ग़म का ये दमकता हुआ ख़ूँ-रंग गुलाब

क्या करूँ भाई ये एज़ाज़ में क्यूँ-कर पहनूँ

मुझ से ले लो मिरी सब चाक क़मीसों का हिसाब

आख़िरी बार है लो मान लो इक ये भी सवाल

आज तक तुम से मैं लौटा नहीं मायूस-ए-जवाब

आ के ले जाओ तुम अपना ये दमकता हुआ फूल

मुझ को लौटा दो मिरी उम्र-ए-गुज़िश्ता की किताब

***

Meaning of words unfamiliar to me:

उम्र-ए-गुज़िश्ता – past life  अहद-ए-शबाब – youth   ख़ूँ-रंग – colour of blood, red  

एज़ाज़ – marvel, miracle, honour, esteem, respect  चाक – torn, tattered   क़मीसों – shirts  

बार  – load, burden  मायूस-ए-जवाब – disappointing answer

Rekhta.org

The lyrics in Hindi are sourced from rekhta.org, an excellent portal for Urdu literature for the cognoscenti, and for a novice like me. A few years ago, struggling to make sense of Hafeez Jalandhari’s ‘abhi toh mein jawan hoon’, I texted my friend Anjuly a few times for meaning of unfamiliar Urdu words in the poem. She said, ever so helpful, unfailingly polite, and without any irritation: why don’t you look up the poem in rekhta.org.? Just click the word you do not know, and the meaning pops up readily. I checked, and was delighted.  Thanks, Anjuly, for telling me about Rekhta! If you love Urdu literature, you may find this portal very helpful.

Lament

(Translation of Faiz Ahmad Faiz’s ‘Nouha’ by this author)

I am aggrieved,

Dear Friend, Soul-mate, Brother,

For you departed

With my treasured Book of Life,

Filled with priceless memories,

Of childhood and youth;

Bidding adieu, you left for me,

Grief - a deep, raw, gaping wound,

This flaring blood-red rose,

A return gift;

Of what use is this marvel,

Treasure of lost love,

How can I bring myself to wear it on my lapel?

Much easier for me

To count all our torn and tattered shirts.

Let me burden you with this final query,

Never have I received from you

A disappointing, hurtful response;

Dear Friend, Soul-mate, Brother,

Take back your flaming flower,

Return my Book of Life,

Filled with precious pictures,

Of our shared joys and sorrows

Of childhood and youth.

***

After finishing the job, I asked: why do you need an English translation?

Saturday Club is hosting a condolence meeting for Late K. S. Dhillon, one of the Founder members of the club, a very dear friend, and my neighbour. I wish to read the English translation of Faiz’s poem in honour of my dear, departed friend. Many in the audience may not fully understand the Urdu nazm.

K.S.Dhillon

Mr. Kirpal Singh Dhillon (1929 – 2018), a distinguished IPS officer (MP:1953) served as Director General of Police, Madhya Pradesh, and Punjab. He has authored ‘Defenders of the Establishment: Ruler-supportive Police Forces of South Asia’ and ‘Time Present and Time Past: Memoirs of a Top Cop.’ After retirement, he also served as Vice-Chancellor of Bhopal University, and was later elected a fellow of the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla.


Kirpal Singh Dhillon (1929 – 2018)

Okay, I will type it on my laptop, and send you a printed copy, I said, and took leave. That was the first ever Urdu poem, and the only one that I have translated till date.

He read the poem with great feeling at the condolence meeting. A touching tribute to his friend. All of us were moved by a fond remembrance through this poignant elegy of love and loss, of memories sweet and sour, of joy and sorrow.

Manohar Keshav, now in his 96th year, is the senior-most member of IAS Association, Madhya Pradesh.

Faiz Ahmad Faiz

Faiz Ahmad Faiz (1911 – 1984) was one of the most celebrated Urdu writers of his time. After studying Arabic and English literature at college, he began his career as a lecturer in English, then joined the army, and thereafter journalism.

His nazms – ‘hum bhi dekhenge (sung beautifully by Iqbal Bano, You Tube),’ and ‘bol ki lab āzād haiñ tere, bol zabāñ ab tak terī hai’ are hugely popular anthems of protest.

Another Faiz poem मुझ से पहली सी मोहब्बत मिरी महबूब न माँग  ( soulful singing by Noor Jehan, available in You Tube) inspired a great Bollywood song. Here is the little anecdote about how that happened. Raj Khosla was a Faiz-fan, and upon Raj’s insistence, Mazrooh Sultanpuri sought and obtained Faiz’s consent to use a line from the above-mentioned song - तेरी आँखों के सिवा दुनिया में रक्खा क्या है – and wrote the lyrics for a timeless song in Chirag (1969).

Faiz Ahmad Faiz (1911 – 1984)

A Note on the Translation

What do you think of my translation? No need to tell, I kind of know. Why, what more did you expect from a non-Urdu, non-Hindi, non-English speaking desperado venturing into the very difficult task of translating Urdu poetry to English?

I have made a rudimentary translation based on my limited understanding, and Mr. Keshav’s patient explanation. Proficient Urdu readers may have a different appreciation of the poem, and others may find much better translations on the net.

***

2 comments:

  1. I am deeply moved by the thoughts and the translation too

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poignant account with a beautiful translation of emotionally charged utterances. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Mahua Mahotsav

  Mahua Mahotsav Mahua Purana After reading my three successive blogs on mahua recipes Jailaxmi R. Vinayak, a friend applauded, tongue-in-...