Mr. Dhor on Tour!

 

Mr. Dhor on Tour!

As I was leaving for office, Manglu, the Head-caretaker of the sprawling Raj-era bungalow informed that a hen had died, and the remaining five in the coop were also drowsy. Not a good sign, he said.

I asked him to go to the Veterinary hospital, not very far from the residence, and request the doctor to come over when free and do the needful.

During lunch, I asked my wife, ‘Did the vet come?’

‘No, Mr. Dhor is on tour. It is not known when he’d be back.’

Dear wife was puzzled when I broke into laughter. 'Did I say something funny?' she asked.

Manglu had gone to the hospital, and upon return had told Ma’am, ‘Dhor Daktar Jagdalpur gaye hain.’ My wife had no idea that vets are called dhor daktar in the Hindi belt!

All the hens perished before the vet’s return from tour, and the coop remained empty for the rest of my tenure at Kanker, Bastar.

***

 Note: 

  • Author's profile may be seen at http://amazon.com/author/pkdash
  • Books by this author are available on Amazon.in, Kindle eBook, Flipkart, and Notion Press, Chennai.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Miracle at Baku

  Miracle at Baku The group of forty-eight Indian holidayers, all senior citizens but for two, had enjoyed the Azerbaijan leg of their tri...