Abhi Toh Mein Jawaan Hoon: A Tribute to Shri Manohar Keshav

 

Abhi Toh Mein Jawaan Hoon: 

A Tribute to Shri Manohar Keshav

A few days ago, I had dropped in at their home without notice, but I guess the affectionate Keshavs were pleased to chat with me. A month ago, Mrs. Keshav had a fracture from a fall and her right arm was in a sling yet she was as cheerful as ever and served home-made gud ke pare, namkeen, and coffee. Mr. Keshav, the quintessential raconteur with an elephantine memory and a treasure-trove of delectable anecdotes, is always delightful company.

“Sir, will you please help me translate abhi toh mein jawan hoon? I need an hour or more of your time since I don’t understand several Urdu words and phrases in the nazm.’

‘Sure, I’ll,’ he said, and picked up a slim volume of Urdu poetry from the side table by his arm-chair and began reciting the nazm I had just mentioned. I was happy to record an impromptu video on my smartphone. The poem is rather long, and wishing not to tire him out, I requested him to stop after two stanzas. If I hadn’t, he might have proceeded further.



Mr Keshav, born on 21st February, 1927, is from the 1953 Batch of the IAS, MP Cadre. He had joined the Service before I was born!

Whether at home or at a party, the Keshavs are immaculately dressed, and are amazingly friendly and hospitable.

Wishing you many happy returns of the day, Sir. We hope to hear many more of your lovely anecdotes.

Warm regards.

Prasanna Dash

Note

If you have not already heard it, go to You Tube for the lovely rendition of this nazm by Mallika Pukhraj, and a masterly recitation by Zohra Sehgal.

***

Abhi Toh Mein Jawaan Hoon: 

Urdu Nazm by Hafeez Jajandhari

(Translation of a few stanzas by Prasanna Dash)

Salubrious, intoxicating, invigorating breeze,

Flowers dancing in fragrant exuberance,

A million melodies usher in the Spring,

Resplendent in its dazzling pageantry.

Whither goest thou,

O Damsel with the wine goblet,

Come hither, pour from your pitcher,

Fill the cup and pass it on.

Behold the gorgeous garden,

That dispels all distress and despondency,

Look, how the dark clouds

Have vanished swiftly over the horizon.

A horde of wine-lovers

Rush towards the tavern,

What doubt bothers you,

Take it from me, I am no novice.

Too soon for me to contemplate austerity or abstinence,

For I still have the fire and fervour of youth.

Many offer the prescribed prayers,

Hoping for salvation,

The righteous strictly tread the path of virtue,

While others meekly follow dreading divine chastisement.

O Sheikh, even though you are strangely disconnected

With this life here and now,

Consider this –

Isn’t it natural for youth to celebrate amour, revel and exult?

When the beloved is sensuous and sizzling,

Her gestures so enticing,

The breeze fragrant and intoxicating,

How can the youth not be excited and ensnared?......


(To be completed after a session with Shri Manohar Keshav)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahua Mahotsav

  Mahua Mahotsav Mahua Purana After reading my three successive blogs on mahua recipes Jailaxmi R. Vinayak, a friend applauded, tongue-in-...