Smell, Salivate, Savour!

 

Smell, Salivate, Savour!

 Dear Reader,

I wish you could somehow eat this blog, or at least smell it. For the present you’ll have to make do with a visual, but even that may tickle your salivary glands!

Your blogger cooks stories, and delectable dishes, too. He can cook Sambalpuri pakhal, ambil, khada-bhaji-nalita-munga saag, and a soupy mutton curry low on spices and a perfect accompaniment for rice. If Michelin stars were awarded for kitchens in Sambalpuri homes, this blogger could win a star or two.

Alas, his culinary talents are hugely underutilised, since spouse permits only occasional entry to the kitchen where she rules. If guests are coming home for a meal, she imposes prohibitory orders, and the kitchen is out of bounds for me. For good reason, since she is an accomplished cook.

But when she goes to town for shopping, I enter the kitchen to do what I want before her return, and our cook watches with unconcealed amusement as to what I hope to achieve during my brief rule.

Four days ago, while buying vegetables from Kripa Barve’s road-side stall a hop away from our home, I noticed big raw mangoes, and asked, what’s that for? For pickles, she said. Forty rupees a kilo, and fifty if you want me to cut it to perfect pieces and deliver it to your home by the evening. She sent her husband, the courier, to deliver a kilo of nicely diced green mangoes.

For achari masala, Chandrakanti’s You Tube video is my favourite. Last year, I had tried it for moringa sweet pickle, and I was happy with the result. Refreshed my memory by once again playing her video. Alas, most of you can’t benefit from it since it is in Sambalpuri; maybe someday I’ll translate her recipe into English, after obtaining her permission.

To make sweet mango pickle, I watched a video or two, but decided to do it on my own. Took me about 30 minutes including preparation of the masala. Then I put it in a glass bowl, borrowed from spouse with promise not to break it and return it clean and sparkling, and put it in the sun with mouth covered with a white cloth. After three days, the diced pieces have released the moisture, and soaked in the spices and jaggery, and the aroma wafting up when I stir the bowl to turn over the pieces is mouth-watering. Ready to eat, here is how it looks now:

 

Sweet mango pickle made with jaggery and spices.

A close-up.

I wish my readers could sample the sweet mango pickle I have made. I got in my family four marketing professionals but they have better things to do than package and courier pickles made by papa.

Don’t feel dejected, for I am keeping a small bottle apart for you in case you come visiting, and upon proof that you have read all my blogs, I promise to serve you a piece from this limited-edition pickle made with lots of love.

Keep salivating till then!

***

2 comments:

  1. Sunday reading filled with visual treat that that is both sweet and tangy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos really draw out the saliva from mouth.
    Great photos.
    Those remind me of my childhood summer days at Khumtapali...where my badma usually prepared the "AmAchar" for me.I was a fan for those items.

    ReplyDelete

Jagannatha: A Veritable Ocean

  Jagannatha: A Veritable Ocean Jagannatha on Sick Leave Devasnana Purnima was celebrated at Shreemandira on Jun 22, 2024. To hydrate af...