Ramayana: Akshyaya Vata


Ramayana: Akshyaya Vata

(3 Min Read)

After reading my blog ‘Sita’s Anguish,’ a reader and friend observed:

‘I tried looking up Yuddha Kaand, Sarga (Chapter) 103 for the words quoted by you viz. "rAvanAnka paribhrastA drstva dustena chakshushA". Didn't find them in Sarga 103. Am I missing or misunderstanding something?’ He shared with me the link he had looked up.[i]

I explained to my friend that he was reading Valmiki Ramayana from sanskritdocuments.org, where he had found Rama’s address to Sita in Sarga 115; whereas my reference was to Valmiki Ramayana, Critical Edition, Oriental Institute, Baroda, Ed by P L Vaidya (1971) where the episode is in Sarga 103. I shared the link for the Critical Edition.[ii]

Sarga numbers differ because the Critical Edition has excised all those shlokas which eminent scholars believed to be interpolations by subsequent authors.

There are several Sanskrit Ramayanas, and several versions of Sanskrit Valmiki Ramayana -

“…more than one text of the Sanskrit Ramayana exists—Valmiki Ramayana, Yoga Vasishtha Ramayana, Ananda Ramayana and Adbhuta Ramayana.”

(Debroy, Bibek. The Valmiki Ramayana (p. 19). Penguin Random House India Private Limited. Kindle Edition.)

Ramayana: Critical Edition

The Oriental Institute, Baroda, with financial aid from the UGC, engaged reputed scholars who shifted through voluminous text and scrutinised 2000 or more manuscripts during 1951 to 1975 to produce the Critical Edition (CE) of the Valmiki Ramayana. The non-critical version has 650 Sargas and a little over 24000 shlokas whereas the CE has 606 Sargas with 18670 shlokas.

Ramayana: Akshyaya Vata

Ramayana is like the Akshyaya Vata (the eternal, indestructible, sacred banyan tree), which was planted by Adikavi Valmiki long ago and has spread its wondrous canopy all over India and beyond and has welcomed under its soothing and nourishing shade people of diverse opinions and religious persuasions.

Each one has a personal Ramayana

Thinking further on this issue, I was struck by a simple yet profound realisation. Your Ramayana is different from my Ramayana! In fact, every Indian of whatever faith has inside him or her a personal, unique version of Ramayana. How so? Let me explain that by talking about my Ramayana.

My Ramayana

At home, my grandparents and my mother sang and recited Odia Ramayana and Bhagavata, maybe daily. I guess I first got it as an audio file while still in my mother’s womb.

In my village in Odisha, I watched with avid interest Ram Leela (and Krishna Leela, too) performed every year by the local artists. I may have first watched it from my mother’s lap, dozing off when sleep came, and startled awake by Ravana’s hideous laughter. That was my first experience of Ramayana in audio-visual form.

At school, I read and heard many moral stories from Ramayana. During my summer holidays, having no other book to read, I read Odia Ramayana (also called Jagamohan Ramayana) by Balaram Das. I was thrilled to find a treasure trove of stories in the seven hard-bound volumes, and read and re-read these stories. I was in my middle school, and discovered Ramayana text at the tender age of 10 to 12.

During college days, I read the abridged versions of Ramayana in English by C. Rajagopalachari and R. K. Narayana. Later, like most other fellow Indians, I watched Ramanand Sagar’s ‘Ramayana’ on TV during 1987-88.

In subsequent years, I have read a few essays and books related to the epic including the following– Three Hundred Ramayanas: Five Examples and Three Thoughts on Translation by A.K. Ramanujan, 1987 (after a controversy, this essay was withdrawn from Delhi University’s Under-Graduate History syllabus in 2011), The Enchanted Forest by Chita Banerjee Divakaruni, In Search of Sita by Namita Gokhale.

Recently, I have read from the English prose translations of Valmiki Ramayana (Critical Edition) by Bibek Debroy, and Richard P. Gordon, and Manmatha Nath Dutt’s translation of the non-critical text, published in 1891. Thereafter, I was tempted to read a few Sargas of Valmiki Ramayana from IITK portal, and from the Critical Edition by P.L. Vaidya.

To sum up, Ramayana reached out to me mostly through the audio-visual mode, partly through text; and my current reading of Valmiki Ramayana (Critical Edition) can at best be of Primary School Grade I.

Which is the Ramayana that I know? The epic that I met and loved as a child through song and drama, the Odia text that I read long years ago, or the other modes through which I absorbed the epic? Has the Ramayana I knew as a child or as a young man stayed unchanged, or has it grown and spread its roots and branches and foliage over the years? I am inclined to believe that Valmiki’s Ramayana is a living, dynamic document, and the vernacular versions by venerable saint-poets and authors have added to the magical corpus of stories and myths which is our treasured cultural heritage. I believe it would keep growing and blossoming like the Akshaya Vata.

Is Ramayana a Book?

Far from it. Text is only a small part. Millions of people have never read the epic, most people will never read the Book. But they have received their Ramayana through Ram Leela, Ram Kathas, cinema and TV, folk songs, art and sculpture, the Ramayana stories which are part of the daily idiom, and even through Amar Chitra Katha. Ramayana reaches and blesses every Indian in its own mysterious ways.

 


Image Credit: Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana returning to Ayodhya; Period: Mid-17th Century CE, Artist- Unknown, Style- Malwa, Central India; Source: NM Virtual Gallery.

Your Ramayana

Your Ramayana is almost certainly different from my Ramayana, and it is no surprise that our understanding of the epic may differ, sometimes marginally, and sometimes significantly.

You may have a copy of Valmiki Ramayana with tika by Gita Press, or a different Valmiki Ramayana, or Ram Charit Manas by Gosvami Tulasi Dasa, or Kamba Ramayana in Tamil, or the Odia Ramayana by Balaram Das, and may be reading daily from it.

Do I possess one or more copies of Ramayana? Yes and no. I do have a few hardcopy volumes of the epic and a few soft copies in my library; but I can never dream of ‘possessing’ our Adikavya which is so vast and expansive. Rather, I am possessed by Ramayana.

Where is Our Ramayana?

Ramayana is in the air we breathe, Ramayana is in the water we sip, Ramayana is the earth that is our home, Ramayana is the sunshine that fills our life with light and warmth, Ramayana is the sky that is the roof over our head, Ramayana is the rain that pours like a blessing upon the scorched earth, Ramayana is the water that gurgles down the rivulets and streams and rivers and runs into the seas and oceans. I can see no place or thing where Ramayana is not there.

I have sipped but a little of the nectar of Ramayana. I guess, you too have tasted the nectar from your own cup, big or small; and you, too, are blessed to have your personal, unique Ramayana.

However, Our Ramayana is vaster, more extensive and expansive, more comprehensive, more inclusive and more panoramic than Your Ramayana and My Ramayana put together.

***

 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful exposition! Well documented!! Thanks for your wonderful effort!

    ReplyDelete

The King is Naked!

  The King is Naked! Meidan Baazar, Tbilisi The imposing sculpture of Mother of Georgians towers above the Sololaki Hills. Tourists rid...